My AIESEC Experience | Dream Beyond Language: Taiwan - I can show you the world

Friday, July 12, 2019

My AIESEC Experience | Dream Beyond Language: Taiwan

The best thing that happened to me this year (yet) was plucking up my courage and signing up as a global volunteer at AIESEC.

What is AIESEC?
AIESEC is a youth-led organisation that provides cross-cultural experience, including volunteering and internship programs, for youths aged 18 - 30. AIESEC believes that youths are the future of the nation, and leaders of tomorrow. Volunteering programs typically lasts 6-8 weeks (they believe 6 weeks is the minimum commitment to make an impact) and internships last up to 52 weeks. Check out their website to find out more, or to browse available opportunities.

Why did I want to join AIESEC?
Aside from wanting to do the "fun" stuff like exploring new cities and living like a local for 6 weeks, I wanted to engage in some meaningful project while I overseas (cliché, but true). Teaching English Language in a country where English is not the spoken tongue had sounded like a good idea to me - and it was. More importantly, I wanted this trip to be a learning journey, one for self-growth and development, working specifically on these areas:
- communication skills
- adaptability to new situations
- confidence level

Teaching experience
How was my first day like? I arrived in Taoyuan Airport on a Tuesday before 12 noon, and was picked-up by an AIESEC-er, then brought to Gan Yuan Elementary - my assigned school. There, I was introduced to some of the teachers I would work with for the upcoming weeks, and learnt more about my roles and responsibilities... including preparing a brief introduction about myself to the entire school body the next day. 😨😨

Having had no experience with public speaking, I was naturally quite flustered when I learnt that I had to stand in front of hundreds of people, including students, teachers, and school staff. But I told myself that that was exactly what I came here to do - to put myself through uncomfortable situations so that I can grow to become a more confident speaker. To my surprise, I wasn't particularly nervous when the time finally came for me to stand on the school stage. Probably because no one knew me, I was able to let the more confident side of me shine through. That was the first, but definitely not the last time I went up on stage. School assembly is held every Wednesday, so I had the opportunity to go up on stage a few times to share more about the Singaporean culture that I didn't get to do so during class time.

More about what I did in school: On my first week there, I met up with one of the English teachers for a review of my slides. As far as I know (for myself and other volunteers I've spoken to on this trip), the teachers wouldn't micro-manage you; you basically have the flexibility to choose what to teach and the mode of delivery, as long as the lesson plan focuses on you and your culture. On average, I have 2 classes a day, with one weekday without class. On days when I had no class, I was still required to come to school. If my class ended early, however, I was allowed to leave early and explore the city.

The academic curriculum in Taiwan is different from Singapore's. The bell rings every 40 mins, followed by a 10 mins break. Sometimes during breaktime, students would pop by the office to look for me, asking me play catching with them, or to bring me to the school library for a quick storytelling session. The older kids would also take the initiative to interact with me in English.

I also had the honour of being one of the emcees for the Year 6's graduation ceremony. Based on the script handed to me, I translated some lines to English. Though my lines were minimal, I'm glad I got to partake in this memorable experience and witness the bittersweet farewell the school had indefatigably organised for the students.


My trip has also opened my eye to the teaching industry. The dedication and effort the teachers put in for the students are truly admirable. Different teachers operate differently. Some behaved like a TV host, chatting amicably and jokingly with the students; some put on a fiercer persona, acting as the disciplinarian to maintain order in classrooms. Ultimately, all teachers are invested in their lifelong goal to bring the best education and learning opportunities for their students.

Lunch in school
I love food so of course, I had to dedicate a section to showcase some of the food I ate. 😂 School lunches are provided at a nominal fee and esteemed for their nutritious value.

vegetables // lotus root soup

Fruits and yoghurt/milk are served once a week.
Vegetables // sweet basil seed drink // mango

Water spinach x tempura x prawn roll // barley soup

salmon x tea-leaf egg x bak choy // grass jelly dessert
Lunch on a typical day includes three ingredients + rice + soup. Just a note: the school lunch is not vegan / vegetarian-friendly. As someone who actively tries to cut down on meat consumption, I'd just avoid taking meat whenever possible.

Accommodation
I was fortunate enough to be staying with a host family - they were the nicest bunch of people ever! Let's just say that with their help, I've managed to come up with some drool-worthy content. To be revealed!

I was told that a school representative actually went to my homestay to interview the host family and checked out the living condition before assigning me to the host fam. As far as I know, the school is usually in charge of finding accommodation. I've heard cases when volunteers have had to change their accommodation once every few weeks, but I was lucky enough to stay attached to one host family, giving me the time to adapt and bond with the family, and saving me the hassle of packing my luggage every few weeks. But not everyone would be successfully assigned to a homestay. Another volunteer shared with me how the school teachers had very kindly arranged an alternative accommodation near her assigned school.

🌱🌱🌱

There's only so much I can tell you about my experience. You would have your moments of self-doubts and moments of slippages during the trip, but just don't stupidly trap yourself in a stairwell like I did - that's a story for another day. Ultimately, it's not about whether you think you're prepared or not, but how willing you are to take the first step out of your comfort zone.

No comments:

@way2themes